Welcome the return of the light: Solstice at Arbor Low

To celebrate the winter solstice and have a well-earned Christmas jolly, the Elmet crew journeyed up to Bakewell to see the sights and have some festivity!

File 23-12-2015 10 14 38

The stunning monument at Arbor Low is situated in Derbyshire, a short drive from the town of Bakewell. It comprises multiple features, including a henge and stone circle as well as a bowl barrow which cuts into the bank on the Eastern side. The henge itself is a huge bank with an internal quarry ditch which runs between 7 and 12 metres wide and originally thought to have been from 2 to 3 metres deep. The bank is roughly 2 meters tall, although thought to have been a further meter high originally, and the entire monument is roughly circular. There are entrances to the inner area of the monuments from both the North West and the South East, from which there are causeways built up over the ditch.

IMG_20151222_154256098_HDR

Various excavations have been carried out at the site, and those based at the terminals of the ditch at the North West entrance found bone and antler tools, flint flakes and both a leaf shaped and a barbed and tanged arrowhead. At the South Eastern entrance, antler tines have been recovered and are thought to have been used in the monument’s construction.

IMG_20151222_154656776_HDR

Within the henge is the stone circle itself, comprising of around 50 stones and fragments. Whether or not the stones at Arbor Low were originally stood vertically remains a point of contention in archaeology, although many people currently believe that they would have been laid down as they now appear. In the center of the circle, there is a large stone setting known as the cove, made from at least 6 stones set into a rectangle. An extended human burial has been recovered from the Eastern side of this setting, with another in a pit close by to the North East. A human cremation has also been recovered from the middle of the barrow at the monument, laid on the original land surface. Because of this, it is thought that the barrow post-dates the henge significantly. The burial and its associated finds of flint, bone, and some unusual pots place the cremation as either the same age as or even older than the henge monument.

IMG_20151222_154947553

A winter solstice is an astronomical event marking the shortest day and longest night of the whole year in the Northern Hemisphere. Lots of different cultures throughout the world mark the solstice with ceremonies, and at their root lies the same basic principle: an ancient fear that the dwindling light would not return. Many ancient cultures would aim to encourage the return of the light by way of vigils or celebrations. Monuments were often built in alignment with solstices and equinoxes and served as observatories to study these events.

The winter solstice was especially important, as the monitoring of the seasons could be achieved through the knowledge of when this event would happen. This midwinter festival would usually be the last big feast before the harshest weather would set in. Because the winter solstice was seen as the beginning of the return of the sun, the ideas of rebirth were intertwined with the celebrations. The year itself was seen as being reborn, or as a new beginning.

File 23-12-2015 10 21 44

Pagan people of Northern Europe traditionally celebrated a twelve-day midwinter holiday known as Yule, which incorporated the solstice, and from which we get a lot of our modern Christmas practises. Yule is the time of the most darkness and is strongly linked to the ideas of the rebirth of the sun. The celebration of the solstice was also seen to be the return of nature.

We hope you all had an enjoyable and satisfying festive season!

IMG_20151222_150449704

Bibliography

Burnham, A. 2012. Arbour Low 1 – Stone Circle in England in Derbyshire [online] Available from: http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=0003 [last accessed 05.01.2016]

Crystal, E. 2016. Winter Solstice – December 21/22 [online] Available from: http://www.crystalinks.com/wintersolstice.html [Last accessed 05.01.2016]

English Heritage. 2016. Arbor Low Stone Circle and Gib Hill Barrow [online] Available from: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/arbor-low-stone-circle-and-gib-hill-barrow/ [Last accessed 05.01.2016]

Historic England. 2015. Arbor Low henge, large irregular stone circle, linear bank and bowl barrow [online] Available from: http://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1011087 [Last accessed 05.01.2016]

The White Goddess Pagan Portal. 2016. Yule – Winter Solstice [online] Available from: http://www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk/the_wheel_of_the_year/yule_-_winter_solstice.asp [last accessed 05.01.2016]

Advertisements

Dearne Valley Archaeolgy Day 2015 Final Update!

With preparations for DVAD 2015 having reached the final stages, we thought it would be a good time to introduce you to the rest of our speakers!

This year’s conference will be taking place on Saturday the 30th of May, from 10AM until 5PM, and if any of the following should pique your interest, you can learn more and book your place here!

Registration at a reduced price for the conference closes tomorrow (Thursday 28th May) at 12:00, after which we will only be selling tickets on the door at full price. As we cannot guarantee that tickets will be available on the day, we advise booking now to avoid disappointment!

Andrew Allen will be speaking this year, with his presentation ‘What have the Romans done for me?’

141821-06 Elmet Archaeological dig Toll Bar lane Swinton

‘This presentation charts the story of the discovery of Roman pottery in a local garden and the developments from these chance findings into a crowd funded excavation led by Elmet Archaeological from the perspective of the home owner.

Andrew is the Chair of the Dearne Valley Archaeology Group and lives in Swinton. He is a Teaching Assistant at one of the Swinton Primary schools. Andrew was excited by his discovery of a range of Roman pottery in his garden. From this a crowd funded excavation project develop and led by Elmet Archaeological Services Ltd.’

Nigel Page will also be presenting at this years conference, with a talk entitled ‘…a few old walls mantled in ivy’: recent work at Cardigan Castle by NPS Archaeology’.

Nigel

‘Cardigan Castle has a long and rich history and is the recognised home of the first eisteddfod in 1176, however, it is not as prominent or as well known as many other castles in the region or throughout the rest of Wales. This is because for much of its recent history, certainly from the 18th century, it has been a private home with no public access, which, while lending it an intriguing air of mystery, has in its later years resulted in the house and gardens being abandoned and allowed to become virtually derelict. The lack of access to the site meant that until very recently the castle had seen little previous archaeological or historical study.

The development of the site as a private house and gardens in the 18th and 19th century resulted in the large-scale removal of many of the original castle structures, so few of the medieval buildings were thought to survive. However, the recent works by NPS Archaeology, Norwich, have shown that more of the castle survived than was suspected and it is a tantalising possibility that some of the structures revealed may have been standing at the time of the first eisteddfod.’

Our next speaker is Dr Malcolm Lillie, who will be presenting his talk ‘Farming: It can be a bit of a headache but it’s probably not worth losing your head over it!’

lillie3_v_v1

‘This talk will outline the results of the recent palaeopathological analysis of human skeletal remains from the Trypillia farming culture burial cave of Verteba, near Bilche Zolote in western Ukraine. The analyses undertaken to date appear to indicate that, not only was the adoption of farming as a subsistence strategy stressful in terms of the overall health of the population, but that period inter-personal/inter-group violence is also occurring at a time when there may be external impacts (such as climate variability) on the viability of farming as a lifeway in Neolithic Ukraine. Evidence for violence and the post-mortem treatment of the dead is discussed along with a general overview of the transition to farming in this region.’

Finally, we have the CITiZAN north team, with Megan Clement and Andy Sherman. They will be telling us about ‘Recording our coastal heritage’.

11204963_851104008270380_8221850401863337354_n

‘The wealth of archaeology located on our coast ranges from Mesolithic footprints and Bronze Age submerged forests to modern military defense’s.  These sites are battered by winds, waves and tidal scour.  An alarming rate of loss and lack of a systematic standardized system to record these vulnerable sites are a significant problem in British archaeology.

This is being addressed in Scotland with the SCAPE project and in Wales with the Arfodir scheme. The CITiZAN initiative (Coastal and Intertidal Zone Archaeological Network) aims to mitigate the problem in England with a community based recording scheme.

CITiZAN has recently been awarded significant funding by the Heritage Lottery Fund, with additional support from the National Trust and The Crown Estate’s Marine Stewardship Fund.  The three-year project will monitor and survey archaeological sites that are at risk from erosion along our coastline and tidal estuaries.’

 

And that is everything for now! If anything has grabbed your interest, do have a look at our website for more information on the conference, and maybe even book a place!

 

 

‘The venerable and interesting Abbey of Roche’

This weekend one of our archaeologists took a trip to Roche Abbey, and we thought you might be interested to see some of the site!

plan

Roche Abbey was founded in 1147 by Richard de Bully, Lord of Tickhill, and Richard FitzTurgis, with the mother house of Newminster Abbey in Northumberland. The abbey sits in the bottom of a valley which forms a boundary between Maltby and Hotun (Hooton Livett). Roche, like all Cistercian abbeys, was dedicated to St Mary, with its title being derived from the rocky site the abbey was constructed on, in particular a rock formation which resembled a cross which later became a pilgrimage site. Other Cistercian abbeys were also named after landmarks in this way.

P1010402

Roche was in many ways similar to other Cistercian abbeys of the time, described as a ‘very fair builded house, all of freestone; and every house vaulted with freestone and covered with lead’. Within the valley there are steep limestone cliffs, housing caves which are part of the magnesian limestone belt which runs below Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottingham, and joins the same cave system which runs underneath Nottingham castle. Vital for the abbey, a tributary stream runs through the valley, which was dammed into a lake above the monastery, and eventually reaches the river Trent.

P1010477

The Cistercian order followed the teachings of St Benedict of Nursia, and demanded a strict adherence to his rules. From 1120 in just 40 years the order expanded from 10 abbeys to over 300, based all across Europe. Each of these houses were self-sufficient, and this was key to their success. Lay brothers carried out much of the manual work. Choir monks would have been more educated and included a number of priests. Life at Roche centred on church duties and biblical reading.

illumination-letter-001-web       Bernhard_von_Clairvaux_(Initiale-B)

The abbey itself was constructed using stone from the local area, and very closely resembles a smaller version of Fountains Abbey. Both the church and cloister are on the North bank of the stream, with the infirmary and other buildings are placed further West. To gain access to the site, you would first have had to pass through the gatehouse situated at the North West corner of the site, and although it has now lost its roof, the vaulting from a 14th century rebuilding still remains today. There are no remains of the almonry, where visitors to the abbey would be fed and sheltered, or of a smaller chapel that would have been used by those not able to use the abbey church. The granaries, brew house, bake house and other guest houses are also no longer present.

P1010378

The abbey church at Roche was the most heavily used building in the monastery, and follows the familiar plan of other Cistercian sites, with a square ended chancel, both North and South transept arms with chapels in each and an aisled nave. Unusually the chapels in each transept form aisles rather than being separated by thick walls. This indicates that the church’s construction was completed before 1170. The altar would have been on a platform, raised by a step, at the east end, however this has now been destroyed and exists as a stone lined depression instead. The monks cemetery was located behind the outer wall of the North transept.

P1010415

The architectural style of the church demonstrates the simplicity of the Cistercian order at this time. In some areas, the destruction of the church has resulted in a chance to see Medieval construction techniques in greater detail. Where walls have fallen away, it is easy to identify the outer layers of well dressed, faced stone that would have been very expensive, and then the rubble which was used to infill the cavity created. In other areas, the vaulted ceilings have been left with only half the materials, and it becomes clear that the vaulted ceilings were corbelled, then filled with rubble before constructing a roof above.

P1010396    P1010401

Next to the church there was a typical arrangement of other abbey buildings, including the cloister, chapter house, refectory and lay brothers refectory, both infirmaries, the dormitories kitchens, as well as the abbots lodgings and separate kitchen and bake house. It is these buildings that have been damaged most severely, with the remaining walls rarely reaching a height above a single story. The kitchens were one of the few areas permitted to house fireplaces, and there are remnants or several extensive hearths as well as bread ovens. These were later replaced by a large central hearth. In the North East corner is the opening into the refectory where a turn table would have been used to serve food. In the warming room fires were burnt constantly between All Saints Day to Good Friday. Above this was the muniment room, where all the abbeys legal documents would be kept. The refectory itself was used by monks to eat their meals, even if they only had one meal a day for much of the year. They were mostly vegetarian, only consuming fish on feast days, which they would catch from Laughton Pond, but they would often drink beer.

P1010447     P1010444

There are also the remnants of the library, a chapter house and a day room. The library (also called the sacristy) was originally two rooms, and housed the abbeys book collection, aside from those kept in the church or refectory. This building would probably have had large windows to make the best use of the natural light. The chapter house was the administrative centre of any abbey, and the monks would meet here daily to discuss the business of the abbey and their religious life. Some of the bays in the chapter house are uneven, suggesting that alteration was carried out in the 12th or 13th century. The day room at Roche is unusual as it is quite large; at other abbeys it is typically no more than a passageway. The dormitory was above.

P1010497

On the South side of the river are the infirmary and the Abbots lodgings. The infirmary was altered in the 14th century, with passages being added and new buildings constructed to the south to extend the capacity of the infirmary. Next to the infirmary hall was an infirmary chapel, which was used by monks who were too sick to attend services in the abbey church. Above the chapel was the infirmarers lodging. Although none of this remains. Behind the infirmary were the Abbots rooms. Although little of the standing structure remains, there are still remnants of hearths, as the abbot was allowed to have fireplaces as well as the kitchens, and the presence of staircases show that there would have been at least a first floor. The Abbot also had his own private kitchens and offices, however they did also serve the infirmary.

P1010450

At the dissolution of the monasteries under the rule of Henry VIII, Roche Abbey was valued at just £224 2s. 5d. and the abbey was surrendered to the crown on 23 June 1538, when only 14 monks and 4 novices remained at the site. Following the expulsion of the abbot and monks, the deconstruction of the abbey began; the roof was dismantled, all furniture and fittings were removed, apart from choir stalls which were set on fire to melt the lead from the roof. There is extensive evidence of the destruction of any religious imagery and artwork, or iconoclasm, and evidence of this can still be seen today. Iconoclasm was a common occurrence during the dissolution of the monasteries, as such imagery was seen to represent the old ways that were a part of Catholicism. Any carvings, statues or paintings were ‘either spoiled, carped away or defaced to the uttermost…’ The site passed through private hands following this, and in 1921 care of the ruins was passed to the Office of Works. Roche Abbey is now managed by English Heritage.

P1010412

Roche Abbey is a stunning site, with the trademarks of landscaping by Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown. The ruins had been neglected, and this was very fashionable in the romantic period. Roche was the first landscape devised by Capability Brown that was based on the presence of a ruin, and the remains of the abbey were set off by extensive terracing, waterfalls, a lake and new trees. Unfortunately, some of their methods led to further damage to the abbey, with walls being quarried to build others elsewhere on the site, and extensive levelling of the site was carried out to create terraces.

P1010501

In the 1870s, antiquarians worked on the site, exposing previously covered walls and graves, although this was slow work. Some of the workers carved their names into the windows; this was quite fashionable at the time. Today in the window of the gift shop you can still see Mortimer Wheeler’s name! In 1921 a programme of consolidation was established, and now the site is both a beautiful landscape and a record of abbey life at Roche.

P1010513

This site is well worth a visit, and more information about the site and how to visit can be found on the English Heritage website here.

 

References

Ellis, H, Sir. 1825. Original Letters, 3d. ser. III. Harding, Triphook & Leonard: London.

English Heritage. 2015. Roche Abbey [online] Available from: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/roche-abbey/ [last accessed 03.05.2015]

Ferguson, P. 1996. Roche Abbey, South Yorkshire. English Heritage: London

Hamilton Thompson, A. 1954. Roche Abbey, Yorkshire. Her Majesty’s Stationary Office: London

The Heritage Trail. 2015. Roche Abbey, South Yorkshire [online] Available from: http://www.theheritagetrail.co.uk/abbeys/roche%20abbey.htm [last accessed 03.05.2015]

Hobson Aveling, J. 1870. The history of Roche Abbey, from its foundation to its dissolution. Robert White: Worksop

Office Expansion

Very exciting news here at Elmet today, our new library and study room is finally completed!

IMG_20150429_141257

We are very pleased to have this new designated library space in addition to the Elmet office. We have books covering the prehistory (this includes the Paleolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic, Bronze Age and Iron Age), Romans, Anglo Saxons, Vikings, and both Medieval and Post Medieval periods.

IMG_20150429_141023

We also have books on local, world and British history and archaeology, a range of student support, as well as a selection of general miscellany, which covers everything from the kitchen witch to great inventions! In addition to this we also stock a variety of Hull university course packs from the part time archaeology BA course.

IMG_20150429_141037

We have also provided a study and work area with large desks and lots of seating for people to use as they work in the library.

IMG_20150429_141148

This space is open to everyone, so be sure to come and take a look!